PRACTICE MAKES PERFECT:
- Grade 8 & 9: Strengthen your skills with the New Elementary Mathematics 1 Syllabus D and the New Elementary Mathematics 2 Syllabus D textbooks. These books are from the Singapore Math curriculum (it is the natural continuation of the resources we use for Alpha and Beta class). They can also be purchased online or at ABC Academic Books. The textbooks have accompanying workbooks which we also recommend for extra practice.
- Math Pickle website is a great resource created by a mathematician/math educator named Gordon Hamilton. We use some of his materials at Math Circles and he has even been a special guest in our classes in the past!
- As all our students know, math is about much more than memorizing formulas. Check out this resource from Mathigon for a very fun and interactive way to improve your skills.
- OneOnEpsilon has a lot of great content that has been curated by knowledgeable math professionals. They’re always coming up with fun and informative ways to keep you in the know. Poke around and see what you can find!
DEEPER APPRECIATION OF MATH
- Richard Hoshino is a local mathematician, professor, and novelist. We highly recommend reading his book, The Math Olympian.
- James Tanton is a brilliant mathematician and math educator. We use some of his resources for our Math Circles program.
- Here’s a great example from Tanton of why we like to Make Math Meaningful – enjoy!
- Mathematics Olympian gold medalist talks about the art of math
- A Mathematician’s Lament – Paul Lockhart
- Cédric Villani is an inspiring modern mathematician. He has recently joined the French assemblee nationale (parliament) as a regular member, having obtained 69% in his riding. He is now working hard to advocate Singapore Math as a model for French schools. Here’s an inspiring TED talk by Villani, called “What’s so sexy about math?“
- Here is a wonderful video on “Visualizing Pythagoras“
A LITTLE EXTRA HELP
HAVE SOME FUN WITH IT!
- Arithmetic for Parents – Ron Aharoni
- Have Math Anxiety? Here’s How to Not Pass It Down to Your Kid – Michelle Woo
- Do you think that children are in control of their abilities, or that some just happen to be more talented than others? Do you wonder what effect praise has on your child? Dr. Carol Dweck has done significant research regarding why some children seek challenges while others do not (Growth Mindset versus Fixed Mindset). Her findings are very revealing:
Video: Growth Mindset Introduction: What it is, How it Works, and Why it Matters
Video: The Impact that Praise has on Children’s Development
Article: Growth Mindset Parenting