March 25th, 2020
Math Circles classes are moving online. Here is what to expect for the rest of the 2019/2020 school year:
- BEFORE CLASS: Students must log into their Schoology account, and complete the Student Learning Path which is posted in the folder under each individual class (click on “Class 13” now to see the contents for this lesson). The Student Learning Path includes watching the pre-recorded videos and attempting the problems and tasks in the videos. This will introduce the foundational learning of concepts for that lesson’s topic. Afterwards, students should apply what they learned by trying some of the assigned homework, as specified in Schoology. The Student Learning Path materials will be posted at least 3 days before class.
- DURING CLASS: The focus will be on solving problems together, and answering questions that came up from the Student Learning Path. All students are expected to participate during these 75 minute classes. Class dates and times have not changed except for class 17 dates for some campuses. Students will access their virtual class through a link that will be posted on Schoology in the “Live Virtual Classes” folder.
- AFTER CLASS: Complete the rest of the homework, and mark it yourself, as per usual. Live homework tutorials will still run for Alpha/Beta/Gamma/Delta levels with a slightly modified schedule. Students are encouraged to attend if they need additional support with their homework after their virtual classes.
Guidelines for all virtual classes:
- Make sure you attend only the class you are registered in.
- Use your first name, and if you like, your last initial (not your full name). Teachers will only mark down the attendance of students who are registered in their class.
- Make sure your background keeps your identity and location anonymous
- Regular attendance is required in order to progress to the next Math Circles level.
- Set up a workspace in a quiet location so that you are not disrupted during class.
- Arrive 5 minutes early to class to test your equipment (you can test sound and camera through Zoom before class starts).
- Have your homework and notebook in front of you.
- Be respectful.
- Try some homework problems on your own before the virtual class so you come prepared to ask questions.
- Equipment needed: computer or laptop, speaker or headphones, microphone, web camera (optional but encouraged), stylus writing pad (optional).
- Download the Zoom desktop application and use it for virtual class (instead of using the browser version as it has limited functionality). Students will be required to create a Zoom account. This will be a separate account you will create, not linked to any other Math Potentials accounts. If you share a computer with a family member, it might automatically log you into their Zoom account. Make sure the student name, and not the parent name, is displayed.
March 19th, 2020
The current environment around us is rapidly evolving, and we understand how disruptive it is, especially for educators, parents and students. We are committed to providing the same support, resources and service that you have come to expect from us. As such, Math Circles classes will be continuing to run as scheduled, online.
Classes will now be in a flipped classroom style, where students learn the concepts prior to the class by watching lesson videos and going through a series of learning tasks. All materials and instructions will be posted in Schoology. Following this individual exercise, students will participate in a 75-min long live online class through Zoom conducted by their regular teacher at the regular class time where the focus will be on problem solving and implementing what they previously learned on their own.
All Math Circles students should have received an email from us with more details regarding the online transition, through our registration software, Amilia. If you did not receive an email from us, please check your spam. If it’s not there, log in to your Amilia account and check which email address is listed. If you need further help, please email firstname.lastname@example.org to troubleshoot.
In order to access the lesson videos and participate in the online classes, please make sure your child is able to access their Math Circles course on Schoology (you can find the access code on the front cover of the student binder, or contact email@example.com for assistance).
Please visit the BC Centre for Disease Control for more information.